Wednesday 8 November 2017

How Did We Get Here?

If you want to have an idea of the things that are tearing us apart as a nation and the extent to which we're losing our humanity, try to engage kids in simple conversations. Spend time with and around them.

Recently at the music school, I got talking with a five year old boy during his break time and asked him "are you a Christian or a Muslim?" He looked at me with surprise... "uncle what does that mean?" Trying to explain to him, I asked "do you go to Church or Mosque?" He responded with such a great excitement..."yes yes yes uncle, I go to Church! I love my church so much, I love the Sunday school, I love every Sunday morning, I love my friends in the church....we use to sing a lot of songs, I'm happy any time my mummy takes me to church".

With that level of enthusiasm about his Church, I was so curious to know what Church it is ."What's the name of your Church?" I asked. He answered with a straight face: "uncle I don't know...why are you asking?" At that point I freezed... "Don't worry" I replied, I quickly climbed the stairs up and got thinking...

So this little boy doesn't know his religion. He doesn't know his denomination. But he's extremely excited about his personal Church experience and doesn't think there's a need for him or me to worry about those details. He feels those details have no roles to play in our friendship.

What we need to learn from children isn't childish. Being with them connects us to the deep wisdom of life, freedom, love, simplicity and truthfulness; the absence of which has made our world a complicated, divided and chaotic one.

God help us!

No comments:

Post a Comment